How to carry dog in train in india
Imagine the excitement that fills your heart when you plan a journey across the vibrant landscapes of India. But as a loving pet parent, one question looms over your head like a dark cloud: How can you ensure that your furry family member doesn’t miss out on the adventure? Leaving your precious dog behind is simply not an option.
Fortunately, the Indian train system presents itself as a fantastic option for dog travel. It opens up a world of possibilities, allowing you to bring your loyal companion along on your journeys. We understand that navigating the process of carrying your dog on a train in India may seem overwhelming at first. That’s why we have crafted this elaborate guide to help you navigate through the intricacies and make the train travel with your dog a breeze.
So, dear reader, let’s embark on this journey together, as we share invaluable insights and preparation tips on how to travel with a dog in a train in India. With our comprehensive and easy-to-follow instructions, you will not only gain the knowledge but also the confidence to venture forth with your furry buddy on how to carry dog in train in India, creating unforgettable memories along the way.
Stay tuned as we delve into the nitty-gritty of pet-friendly train travel, answering all your burning questions and dispelling any doubts that may cloud your mind. From understanding the rules and regulations set forth by Indian Railways to ensure your pet’s comfort and safety throughout the journey, we leave no stone unturned in our pursuit of providing you with a seamless travel experience.
By the time you finish reading this extensively detailed blog, you will possess all the necessary information and guidance to make your dream of train travel with dog come true. So, pet parents, hold onto your excitement, because the adventure awaits. Let’s unravel the secrets of pet-friendly train travel in India and embark on an extraordinary journey together!
Step 1- Understanding the rules and guidelines for pet transport by train in India.
- Passengers have the privilege to accompany their canine companions, whether they be small breeds or big dogs like Labrador, boxer, or German shepherd, in the luxurious AC First Class or First Class compartments. However, to ensure their comfort, passengers must reserve the entire compartment for themselves and their furry friends.
- Travelers embarking on a journey in the esteemed First Air Conditioned Class or First Class have the option to bring their dogs along, but only with the approval of fellow passengers. Of course, this comes at a cost, as charges must be paid in advance. It’s important to note that if any objections arise from fellow passengers after the dog has been permitted in the compartment, it will be promptly relocated to the Guard’s van, with no possibility of a refund.
- If you have a smaller canine companion, fret not! There are designated dog boxes available in other compartments. You can easily secure a spot for your furry friend by paying a nominal fee starting from Rs. 10, depending on their weight.
- To ensure a hassle-free journey for your dog, passengers can reach out to the parcel office to make the necessary bookings and arrangements.
- Pet owners are responsible for making adequate provisions of water and food for their beloved dogs throughout the journey.
- Dogs found unreserved in the First Class compartments will be subject to charges amounting to six times the Luggage Scale Rate, with a minimum charge of Rs. 50.
- A lady traveling alone with children under the age of 12 in a First Class compartment may bring one dog along, subject to payment of charges based on the Dog Box Rates, starting at a minimum of Rs. 10. However, it’s important to note that if another lady enters the compartment, the dog can only stay with her consent.
- Any unreserved dogs found will be charged at double the dog-box rate for the distance traveled up to the point of detection, and at the dog-box rate for the remaining distance. The total charge will be subject to a minimum of Rs. 20 per dog.
- It is strictly prohibited to carry dogs in ACC Sleeper Coaches, ACC Chair Car Coaches, Sleeper Class, and Second Class coaches. If a dog is discovered being transported against this rule, it will be immediately relocated to the brake-van, and charges equivalent to six times the Luggage Scale Rate, with a minimum charge of Rs. 50, will be imposed.
- For large dogs that cannot be accommodated in the dog boxes of the brake van, a special vehicle is available for their transportation. The rates and conditions for this service are the same as those for transporting horses.
Step 2- How to book a ticket for a dog on the train
- Bring your dog to the boarding station where you will begin your journey. Ensure your dog is healthy, well-behaved, and properly leashed or secured in a pet carrier for safety.
- Visit the luggage office at the station at least 3 hours prior to the scheduled departure of your train. Inquire about the procedure for booking a ticket for your dog and provide them with the necessary details.
- Present the latest vaccination certificate of your dog, issued by a registered veterinarian, to the luggage office. This certificate ensures that your dog is up-to-date with all necessary vaccinations, reducing the risk of any health concerns during the journey.
- Carry a valid government-issued identification proof (such as Aadhaar card, driving license, or passport) to establish your identity when booking the ticket for your dog. This is a standard requirement to ensure the legitimacy of the booking.
- Pay the applicable fees for booking your dog’s travel. The luggage office staff will provide you with the details of the charges based on the distance and the type of accommodation chosen for your dog.
- After paying the fees, collect the receipt provided by the luggage office. This receipt serves as proof of payment and booking for your dog’s travel. Keep it safe as it will be required throughout the journey.
- Once onboard the train, submit the first part of the receipt to the train guard. The guard’s coach is usually located at the tail end of the train. This ensures that the guard is aware of your dog’s presence and that the necessary arrangements have been made.
- Keep the other part of the receipt with you throughout the journey. It serves as your proof of booking and payment for your dog’s travel and may be required for verification purposes.
- When you reach your destination station, remember to deboard with your dog and present the receipt to the train guard. This ensures a smooth exit and completion of the booking process.
Important note for Online Ticket Bookings: If you have booked your train ticket online through the IRCTC website or Rail Connect app, you must visit the railway luggage booking office in person to complete the dog booking process. This is a necessary step to ensure proper documentation and compliance with the rules and regulations of Indian Railways.
By following these detailed steps and adhering to the guidelines provided by the luggage office and train staff, you can successfully book your train travel with dog on Indian Railways and embark on a safe and enjoyable journey with your furry companion.
Step 3- Prepare to travel with dog in train
Familiarize Your Dog with the Train Atmosphere:
Introduce your dog to the sights and sounds of a train station before the actual trip. Take them for leisurely strolls near railway tracks, allowing them to observe passing trains from a safe distance. This exposure will help them become familiar with the bustling atmosphere and the rhythmic chugging of trains.
Create a Positive Association with the Train:
Transform the idea of train travel with your dog into something exciting for them. Designate a special toy or blanket that becomes their “train travel buddy.” Associate it with treats, playtime, and cuddles, making it a symbol of joy and comfort specifically for train journeys.
Calming Scents and Music:
Infuse the travel carrier or crate with soothing scents like lavender or chamomile. These calming aromas can help relax your dog during the journey. Additionally, play soft classical music or calming nature sounds to create a serene ambiance and drown out any potentially stressful noises.
Pack a Travel Comfort Kit:
Prepare a travel kit specifically for your dog’s needs. Include their favorite toys, a cozy blanket or bedding with their familiar scent, and some interactive puzzles or chew toys to keep them occupied and mentally stimulated during the journey. Don’t forget to pack some tasty treats to reward good behavior and provide comfort.
Gradual Crate Training:
If your dog will be traveling in a crate, start crate training well in advance. Begin by leaving the crate open with comfortable bedding inside, enticing your dog to explore and relax in it voluntarily. Slowly progress to closing the door for short periods, gradually extending the time. This progressive approach will help your dog associate the crate with security and comfort.
Practice Leash and Obedience Training:
Ensure your dog is well-behaved and responsive to basic commands like sit, stay, and come. This will be crucial during boarding, disembarking, and other instances where control is necessary. Regular leash training will also help you keep your dog safe and under control in busy train stations.
Exercise and Mental Stimulation:
Engage your dog in ample physical exercise before the journey. Take them for long walks or indulge in a game of fetch to burn off excess energy. Additionally, provide mental stimulation through puzzle toys or training exercises to keep their mind engaged during the trip.
Seek Professional Guidance:
If your dog experiences severe anxiety or motion sickness during travel, consult a professional dog trainer or a veterinarian. They can provide expert advice, recommend calming techniques, or suggest appropriate medications to ensure your dog’s well-being and comfort during the train journey.
Step 4-Boarding your dog in train
First things first, make sure to arrive at the station with plenty of time before the train’s departure. This will give you enough wiggle room to complete all the necessary paperwork and formalities for your pet. Once you’re at the station, follow the signs or ask the railway staff for directions on where to go. They’ll guide you through the check-in process for your pet. You’ll need to show them the required documents, such as vaccination certificates and your own ID, to prove that your furry friend is ready to travel.
After everything is sorted, it’s time to get your dog settled in their carrier. Make sure it’s secure and comfortable for them. The railway staff will provide you with any specific instructions you need to follow. Now, it’s time to board the train! Find your seat or designated area and get settled with your dog by your side. Take a moment to appreciate the adventure that lies ahead as the train starts to move.
Remember, boarding the train is just the beginning of an exciting journey with your four-legged friend. Enjoy the ride, make lasting memories, and embrace the experience together. Bon voyage!
Step 5- And so the journey begins-What to do during travel when taking your dog in train in India
- Keep your dog calm and comfortable during the train ride.
- Regularly check on your pet’s well-being and provide food, water, and bathroom breaks.
- Be considerate of fellow passengers and respect their personal space.
- Maintain cleanliness and hygiene in the train compartment.
- Carry waste bags and clean up after your dog promptly.
- Use pet-friendly disinfectant wipes to sanitize surfaces.
- Be prepared for any unexpected situations and have important contact information readily available.
- Seek assistance from train staff if needed.
Step 6- After reaching the destination
Once you have arrived at your destination, it’s time to safely disembark the train with your dog. Gather all your belongings, including your dog’s carrier and any other items you brought along. Give your dog some time to acclimate to the new surroundings. They may need a moment to adjust after the train journey. Find a quiet area where they can relax and gradually introduce themselves to the new environment.
It’s important to be aware of local regulations and guidelines regarding pet transportation in the destination city. Familiarize yourself with any specific rules or restrictions that may apply. This includes leash laws, designated pet areas, and any required documentation or permits.
Respect the local community and ensure that your dog behaves appropriately in public spaces. Keep them on a leash and clean up after them to maintain cleanliness and uphold a positive image for pet owners. By being mindful of these considerations, you can ensure a smooth transition from the train journey to your destination, allowing both you and your furry friend to enjoy your time in the new city.
Traveling with your dog in a train within India is an adventure that can create beautiful memories. By following the guidelines and procedures outlined in this comprehensive guide, you can ensure a safe and enjoyable journey for both you and your furry friend.
However, the process of traveling with your pet can sometimes feel overwhelming. That’s where Global Pet Cab comes to the rescue. As the leading pet relocation service based in Bangalore, we cater to pet parents across India, providing top-notch domestic and international pet transportation services.
Our team of highly experienced professionals specializes in pet relocation, possessing extensive knowledge of the intricacies involved in transporting pets within and from India. Whether you need pet relocation services in Bangalore or anywhere else in the country, Global Pet Cab is your ultimate choice.
With our safe, reliable, and hassle-free services, both pet parents and their furry friends can enjoy a stress-free pet relocation journey. We understand the importance of your pet’s well-being and strive to provide the utmost care and comfort throughout the transportation process.
So, pack your bags, contact Global Pet Cab, and get ready to explore the incredible landscapes of India with your beloved canine companion by your side. Let us take care of the logistics while you create cherished memories together. Happy travels!